27 January 2012

Comfort Food: Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

I'm not one to crave mac and cheese but lately the weather has been damp and rainy and I am craving some comfort food.  Today I recalled a homemade mac and cheese recipe I tried a few years ago that was so delicious!  It's from Discovery Channel's Get Fresh with Sara Snow and is made with organic dairy products.  I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH what a difference this makes in the flavor of this classic dish.  The creaminess and purity of the taste was surprising and I was amazed that it improved the taste that significantly.  It seems like a minor detail, but trust me when I say it makes a huge difference!  Don't worry Mom (and Grandma up above) I still love your recipe, but even our old standby's can use a shake up every once in a while. 


Snow Family Mac and Cheese
courtesy of Sara Snow

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
3 T organic butter
3 T flour
2 C organic milk
1/2 t salt
dash pepper
2 C grated organic cheddar cheese
2-4 organic roma tomatoes—sliced
1 C bread crumbs

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cook pasta until firm.  Melt butter. Blend in flour. Wisk in milk.Cook at medium until thick.Add salt and pepper and 1 1/2 cups cheese.Stir to melt.Place cooked macaroni in greased baking dish.Pour sauce in. Top with sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle with cheese and bread crumbs.Bake for about 35-40 minutes. Start with the lid on and then take it off for about the last about 20 minutes, so the top gets nice and toasty.

Serve with mixed greens or salad.

Sorry I don't have a picture to share with you, but please put the tomatoes on top!  So tasty...

Have a lovely, cozy weekend. xo, Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write me a note! I love reading your comments, questions, etc. and try to respond to all of them in a timely fashion. Thank you for spending time with me on Belle Maison Et Moi. xo, Alicia